What Should I Do After I Have Been Arrested

What Should I Do After I Have Been Arrested

All too often, when I meet with clients, one of the first questions I am asked is, “what should I have done after I was arrested?”  The simplest response is, keep your mouth shut.  The 5th Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees that an individual cannot be compelled by the government to provide incriminating information about themselves.  This is the so-called “Right to Remain Silent.” 

So, if you are placed under arrest, remember that you have the right to remain silent.  You also have the right to speak with an attorney.  Finally, you have the right to refuse consent to a search of your person or belongings assuming the officer does not have a warrant.  Keep in mind that the officer does have the right to pat you down if there is concern that you may possess a weapon.  Should the officer ignore your refusal to give consent, this will provide a ground for a suppression motion at a later date.

Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney

If you have been arrested, it is also important to consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney who can review your case, answer your questions, and explain how they can utilize their experience to defend your rights.  At the Z Law Firm, our Orlando Criminal Defense Attorney has over two-decades of criminal trial experience.  He has spent the last 20-years fighting to defend the rights of his clients all throughout Central Florida. See what they have to say about him. Call us today at: 407-473-1233 for your free and confidential case review.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Violation of Probation

How Do I Find the Right Seminole County Criminal Defense Attorney

Do I Need to Hire a Criminal Defense Attorney